A spot where the looniest of the loonies can let the less loonies know what is happening in the life of Lanny's loonies.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
That was close.
Checking bear baits yesterday I apparently had a close call. I would have never known it if I didn't have this motion sensing digital camera at this bait. Look at the date/time stamp on the photos.
Sorry I put the res low so it would not take so long to download. The camera is set to take oics every time it detects motion but not less than two minutes apart. The first is 9:34, the second 9:37 and the one with me coming to check the bait was 9:40. Obviously the bear moved away when I came down the trail.
He did come back and eat the bait I left yesterday; it was all cleaned up today. They sure do like chocolate covered cherries, black oil sunflowers and fresh beef tallow.
I have never been in a situation where the bear would not move off the bait when I approach. I usually talk as I am coming in so I don't suprise them and create a tense situation.
The only real issue would probably be if you got between a sow and her cubs. Or if there was a competition going on between bears and the bear thought it was another bear approaching. Both of these can be avoided by making human-like noises as I approach the bait.
There is some adrenaline involved which I suppose is one to the reasons I like it.
6 Comments:
I can't read the time stamp very well... is that a 10 minute difference?
Sorry I put the res low so it would not take so long to download. The camera is set to take oics every time it detects motion but not less than two minutes apart. The first is 9:34, the second 9:37 and the one with me coming to check the bait was 9:40. Obviously the bear moved away when I came down the trail.
He did come back and eat the bait I left yesterday; it was all cleaned up today. They sure do like chocolate covered cherries, black oil sunflowers and fresh beef tallow.
Do you take your gun with you when you go to the bait piles? Maybe that would be too hard to do...
I don't take a gun for defense, just my looks.
I have never been in a situation where the bear would not move off the bait when I approach. I usually talk as I am coming in so I don't suprise them and create a tense situation.
The only real issue would probably be if you got between a sow and her cubs. Or if there was a competition going on between bears and the bear thought it was another bear approaching. Both of these can be avoided by making human-like noises as I approach the bait.
There is some adrenaline involved which I suppose is one to the reasons I like it.
My brother, the adrenaline junkie...
Do you suppose that if I dressed up like a bear I could eat as well as they do?
Post a Comment
<< Home